LATIHAN SOAL BAHASA INGGRIS Reading Section I. Incomplete Dialogue
I. Incomplete Dialogue
Questions 16 to 30: Choose the most appropriate answer to complete each dialogue.
1. Kiki: "Where should we have lunch, Sita?"
Sita: "How about the new restaurant near the cinema?"
Kiki: ".... I heard that it is good enough."
A. That’s a good idea.
B. What a lunch we have now.
C. That’s terrible.
D. You should know better.
2. Caller: "May I speak to the Manager, please?"
Clerk: "I’m sorry, Sir. He’s out of town today. ...?"
A. Would you like to leave a message?
B. Who do you want to speak to?
C. May I help you?
D. Should you go out with him?
3. Fifi: "I haven’t met Pras for long."
Umi: "Don’t you know that he has moved? ..., but now he teaches at the new school."
A. He used to teach here.
B. He has moved to a new school.
C. I know that he has moved.
D. He still teaches here.
4. Dea: "There’s a good movie playing at Studio 21."
Gina: "“Merah Putih”? I’ve been waiting for that film."
Dea: "Shall we go there this weekend?"
Gina: ".... I’m always free on Saturdays and Sundays."
A. I don’t like that kind of film.
B. That sounds great.
C. What about this weekend?
D. It hasn’t played for a long time.
5. Roni: "I’m attending my best friend’s wedding party in Surabaya tomorrow, Sir. ...?"
Manager: "Actually, you have a lot of assignments to finish, Roni."
Roni: "I will finish them today, Sir."
A. May I have a day off?
B. Could you finish my assignment?
C. Would you like to come with me?
D. Could you give the actual date of the wedding party?
6. Weni: "I’m sorry, but I’d like to return this blouse. I have the receipt here."
Assistant: "What’s the reason for the return?"
A. It comes in size S, M, and L.
B. I like the color very much.
C. It really suits me.
D. It doesn’t suit very well.
7. Waiter: "Excuse me, Ma’am. ...?"
Fira: "Could I have some Gado-gado, please?"
Waiter: "Certainly. Anything to drink?"
A. What would you like to have?
B. Could you recommend your special food?
C. Could you provide the menu, please?
D. Where would you like to eat?
8. Lina: "...? I’m leaving for Surabaya tonight and I can’t pick you up as usual."
Atik: "Don’t worry. I’ll take the public transportation."
A. What will you do at work tomorrow?
B. When are you leaving for Surabaya?
C. Can you pick me up tomorrow?
D. How will you get to work tomorrow?
9. Ari: "Why do you look so upset? What’s bothering you?"
Maya: "I’ve lost my flash disk."
Ari: ".... Do you remember where you last put it?"
A. What do you mean?
B. I don’t want to bother you.
C. You can buy a new one.
D. I’m sorry to hear that.
10. Tukul: "What would you do if you had a lot of money?"
Gayus: ".... I like traveling."
A. I would go around the world.
B. I will travel to Bali.
C. I would have visited many beautiful places.
D. I will be going wherever I like.
11. Traveler: "...?"
Pedestrian: "No, it’s just a five-minute walk from here. It’s along this street."
A. Could you tell me where the post office is?
B. Is the post office far from here?
C. Where is the post office?
D. How long does it take to walk to the post office?
12. Reni: "Your managing director resigned yesterday, didn’t he?"
Ida: "Yes. .... He never told anyone about his plans."
A. He will resign someday.
B. We knew he would resign.
C. That’s a good idea.
D. It was quite a surprise.
13. Receptionist: "...?"
Mrs. Siregar: "Double with bath. I'd appreciate it if you could give me a room with a view over the valley."
A. How many rooms do you need?
B. I’d like to make a reservation?
C. When are you going to stay at this hotel?
D. What kind of room would you like?
14. Vera: "Hasn’t Cita arrived yet?"
Mei: ".... She called me just now and said that she was still on the way."
A. I think she will not come here today.
B. Let’s cancel our meeting.
C. She will arrive soon.
D. She would like to find her way.
15. Rini: "May I borrow the Oxford dictionary? I have a translation work to do."
Librarian: "Let me see. .... What about Longman dictionary instead?"
Rini: "That’ll be fine. Thank you."
A. I’m sorry, but it hasn’t been returned.
B. Yes, it’s available.
C. Of course you can borrow it.
D. Could you return it on time, please
16. Dio: "My computer was infected by a new virus last week."
Lia: "Oh. How did it happen?"
Dio: "I copied some files from my friend’s flash disk before scanning it."
Lia: "You shouldn’t have been as careless as that. ...."
Dio: "I know. Thanks for your advice."
A. You should buy a new flash disk.
B. You didn’t scan the flash disk.
C. You should scan flash disks before opening them.
D. There’s no use in scanning your friend’s flash disk.
17. Operator: "Good morning. May I help you?"
Man: "Good morning. May I speak with Mr. Jones, the Personnel Manager?"
Man: "This is Tim from the shipping company."
A. Who do you want to meet, Sir?
B. May I know who is calling, please?
C. Who do you want to speak to?
D. How do I know your name?
18. Pram: "Do you still remember when we went to the city park in the rain?"
Tini: "Oh, how would I forget that? ... and we soon got soaking wet walking in the rain."
A. We brought an umbrella
B. We would bring an umbrella
C. We have no umbrella with us
D. We had no umbrella with us
19. Yuli: "My younger brother is going to have a birthday party on Saturday afternoon. ...?"
Lina: "Well, I don’t think I can. I have to go to Jakarta this weekend."
Yuni: "It’s OK. Never mind."
A. Would you like to come?
B. May I ask you about it?
C. What are you doing on Saturday?
D. How would you go to Jakarta?
20. Heru: "I’m going to a party, Dad. …?"
Father: "I’m sorry. You haven’t got a driver’s license, have you?"
A. Shall I use your car?
B. May I use your car?
C. Will I use your car?
D. Must I use your car?
21. Customer: "Excuse me. I bought this shirt yesterday. But when I tried it on, ...."
Shopkeeper: "No problem at all. We will replace it with a larger size. May I see the receipt, Sir?"
A. It was too big
B. It was too small
C. It looked great
D. It was big enough for me
22. Ria: "Have you decided what to order?"
Della : "No, I haven’t made up my mind. Anything to suggest?"
Della: "Good idea. I need something to quench my thirst."
A. Can we have soft drink?
B. Why don’t we have some soup?
C. What about having fried chicken?
D. How about some pizza
23. Joko: "I’d like to book a room, please."
Hotel Clerk : "Certainly, Sir. ...."
Joko: "On Saturday, January 14th."
A. When would you like to stay?
B. When will you be available?
C. Would you like a single or a double?
D. How long are you going to stay?
24. Onny: "I just don’t understand why people smoke cigarettes."
Pika: "Neither do I. Smoking ruins our health."
Onny: "Yes. It’s also a waste of money. They will be able to save much money if ...."
A. they stopped smoking
B. they will stop smoking
C. they had stopped smoking
D. they stop smoking
25. Lusi: "Nine people were killed in a car accident last night. How awful."
Widya: ".... I wish people would drive carefully."
A. They deserved it.
B. It sounds like a good idea.
C. That’s too bad.
D. I’m happy to hear that.
26. Man: "Excuse me. ... to the post office, please?"
Woman: "Walk along this street and turn left at the first junction. Then, turn right at the first crossroad. It’s on your right."
A. How far is it
B. Could you tell me the way
C. How long does it take to go
D. Where can I go
27. Helmi: "Do you often take public transportation to work?"
Rika: "No. But when I was in high school, ...."
A. I used to take a bus everyday
B. I will take a bus everyday
C. I take a bus everyday
D. I was going to take a bus everyday
28. Receptionist: "Good morning. May I help you?"
Caller: "... a table for two for tomorrow night."
Receptionist: "Certainly, Sir. May I have your name, please?"
A. I want to buy
B. I’d like you to reserve a table
C. I’d like to book a table
D. I want you to book a table
29. Rima: "... for her to forgive me?"
Edo: "If you ask for an apology, I am sure she will forgive you."
Rima: "I hope so."
A. Will she give possibility
B. Is she sure
C. Is it certainly
D. Will it be possible
30. Teddy: "What’s your plan after graduating from Vocational school?"
Ruli: "If my parents have enough money, ... at the tourism college."
A. I am continuing my study
B. I will continue my study
C. I would continue my study
D. I will have continued my study